Sky Q has been kept under wraps since it was first announced back in November 2015. Today Sky revealed far more information and everyone is very excited. Sky Q will be available to buy from Tuesday 9th February. For such an amazing premium product such as this, there is a relatively low start up cost, with set-up for £99 and typical monthly costings of just £12 on top of customers’ existing Sky+ package. New customers should expect to pay around £42 a month.
So what does one get for this? Well, the idea behind Sky Q is to make it easier to access your favourite TV at home and out and about, on different devices. There are loads of different advanced products including Sky Q, Sky Q Silver, Sky Q Mini, Sky Q touch remote, Sky Q Hub and Sky Q app. All these make up what Sky are calling, “Fluid Viewing”. So you can pause a show in one room and pick it up in the next on a different device.
Summary of Sky Q benefits:
- 50HD channels, 300+ box sets
- Record 3 shows and watch a 4th at the same time
- Pause and pick up in different rooms
- Stream TV shows around the house
- Watch different programmes simultaneously on up to 5 screens
- Download shows to watch on your tablet
- Interactive sidebar apps to catch up on Sky News/Sports while you watch a TV show
- Sky Q touch Bluetooth remote
- Look at Facebook photos, or stream music wirelessly over your TV sound system
- Online Video section – on demand videos from YouTube/Vevo and more
Sky Q Silver offers all this and extras:
- Watch on two additional Sky Q Minis and stream your TV to 2 tablets at the same time
- Record and watch 4 shows while watching a 5th one
- Sky Q Silver box (Ultra HD ready)
Customer can also enjoy a high level of customer service:
- Servicing and mechanical fault repairs are free of charge
- Access to a premium service UK-based call centre for enquiries
- Full professional installation included in the set-up cost
Stephen van Rooyen, Chief Marketing, Sales & Digital Officer, Sky, said:
“We’ve had a fantastic reaction to Sky Q. So I’m delighted to reveal the news that people will be able to get Sky Q for our lowest ever set-up cost for a new premium product.
“We wanted to completely re-imagine TV, making it flexible and seamless across the screens in our lives. With Sky Q and Fluid Viewing that’s exactly what we’ve done – giving people the best TV tech on the market today, at a really accessible price. We think people will love it.”
It’s a great package at a great price. Any family that often battles over what to watch will love the extra options of watching different things in different rooms.
Dan Howdle, consumer telecoms expert at broadband and TV advice site cable.co.uk told the Daily Express, “Sky Q’s pricing is right on the money for early adopters and digital TV enthusiasts. Sky habitually runs offers and promotions on its TV packages and bundles – I would anticipate the appearance of lower-cost Sky Q ‘deals’ aimed at casting a wider net before the end of this year.
“Sky Q itself doesn’t quite qualify as a game-changer for digital TV. More, it’s an evolution towards simplicity. A simpler interface, easier navigation and a far more holistic take on the viewing needs of homes in the 21st century.
“Is it worth the money? Well, to understand the pricing, you first need to understand where Sky Q sits among Sky’s other digital TV offerings. Far from being a replacement to Sky’s existing offerings, it forms an entirely new tier over and above it.”