On Wednesday the 18th of November, Sky announced ‘Q’, their latest entertainment package in 2016.
The aim of Q is simplicity, or ‘fluid viewing’ as they are describing it. In the words of Sky’s Chief Executive, Jeremy Darroch: ‘Sky Q is a brilliant new way for customers to experience TV on their terms. We wanted to re-imagine TV so that it’s flexible and seamless across different screens and to put a huge choice of entertainment at their fingertips. We think customers are going to love Sky Q and the great news is that it will get even better, with much more to come in the future’.
Through wirelessly connecting all of your Sky Q channels, Sky hopes to provide a seamless collection of all your favourite TV and the widest range of entertainment available. Sky claims this will be a revolutionary way of watching TV, but what is all the fuss about? How is this service different to previous online TV packages? Well, Q will allow users to:
- Watch shows from their Q box on multiple home televisions or mobile devices, whether live, recorded or on demand.
- Pause live TV on one screen, and pick up elsewhere.
- Save recordings on mobile devices and take them with you
- Watch up to 5 programmes across different screens, while simultaneously recording 4 other shows
- Boost Sky Broadband signal by using your Sky Q box as a Wi-Fi hotspot
- Use the new Touchpad Remote with TV Guide to choose what you’re going to watch
- Sky Q Search Capability will help finding new content out of previous shows far easier
- Access further apps such as YouTube and Vevo for further entertainment
- Browse Facebook photos, stream wireless music using Bluetooth or Apple’s AirPlay
Q is aimed for release in UK and Ireland in early 2016, and will continue to constantly evolve with further features and innovations, including Ultra HD compatibility and even voice search capability.
Q packs some different features to your average entertainment package and is sure to be a game changer. In addition to more simultaneous viewing and recording capabilities than most packages, we are excited to see how new Sky features such as the Search Capability, Touchpad Remote and TV Guide will work. In addition, Sky Broadband customers will be excited to hear that the Q boxes will be capable of boosting connection.
It’s early days yet, but it’s safe to say we are pretty excited by this.